Vacancy - International Development Officer |
Title: International Development Officer
Supervisor: Assistant Director of Development
Location: The Plains, Virginia
Application Deadline: September 9, 2013
This is a full-time position with American Bird Conservancy (ABC) in The Plains, Virginia. The International Development Officer serves as the lead fundraiser and coordinator for all ABC International Program fundraising and is a contributing member of the International team.
ABC’s mission is to conserve native birds and their habitats throughout the Americas. ABC operates the most comprehensive and effective threatened bird conservation program in the Americas. Working closely with in-country partners and government agencies, ABC’s International team leads efforts to develop and implement conservation actions for the most threatened bird species, such as protecting and restoring their habitat, establishing monitoring programs to ensure conservation goals are met, and helping in-country partners develop long-term, sustainable, financial independence and organizational strength. The International Development Officer plays a vital role in providing conservation input to the International team, creating fundraising budgets, and implementing the annual and long-range division fundraising plan.
The International Development Officer also spends approximately 25 percent of his or her time identifying, cultivating, scheduling appointments with, or soliciting current and potential major donors for ABC’s operations and other programs. The International Development Officer is responsible for developing proposals, reports and correspondence, reviewing and approving international sub-grant agreements, representing Development in International division meetings, and providing input to conservation project planning and implementation. The Development Officer is supervised by the Assistant Director of Development.
The International Development Officer should be an outgoing, organized, and energetic person who desires a career in conservation. This position requires excellent organizational and writing skills, proficiency in written and spoken Spanish and/or Portuguese, and a broad knowledge of ABC’s mission, objectives, and programs. There is regular contact, in person and via telephone and correspondence, with ABC board members, field staff, members, potential and existing donors, and the public. This work requires excellent communication and writing skills, initiative, flexibility, accuracy, attention to detail, and computer skills.
- Lead and coordinate fundraising efforts to meet or exceed annual and long-term fundraising goals for ABC’s International Division based on ABC annual plans and other approved needs.
- Help identify, cultivate, and solicit unrestricted and other program funding for ABC.
- Develop and submit International Division proposals and reports, and maintain International project budgets.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit existing and potential new donors, and assist team members in soliciting new and prospective donors.
- Develop and coordinate fundraising appointments, dinners, events, and field trips.
- Keep board members and major donors informed of ABC programs and needs through regular updates, special appeals, field trips, donor events, and special publications.
- Assist in developing annual Development plan and budgets, maintain donor tracking systems including Raiser’s Edge, Central Filing System, and spreadsheets and provide reminders to program staff of upcoming deadlines and donor-anticipated products.
- Assist with projects as requested by President or Vice President of Development.
- Bachelor’s degree and experience in fundraising or related work or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to contact donors.
- Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish. Proficiency in Portuguese is helpful.
- Proficiency with computers and software.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, accurately, while maintaining deadlines.
- Ability to work in teams.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people at all levels.
- Belief in and dedication to American Bird Conservancy’s conservation mission.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of donor information.
Send letter, resume, and references to: