Vacancy - Rio Grande Joint Venture Assistant Coordinator
Title: Rio Grande Joint Venture Assistant Coordinator
Supervisor: Rio Grande Joint Venture Coordinator
Location: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Application Deadline: May 25, 2012 or when filled
American Bird Conservancy (ABC), an international bird conservation organization, is seeking to employ an Assistant Joint Venture Coordinator to expand the capability and capacity of the Rio Grande Joint Venture (RGJV), to successfully achieve the RGJV partnership’s conservation objectives. The RGJV Assistant Coordinator works with the Coordinator to facilitate overall planning, implementation, and evaluation activities of an international coordinated bird conservation partnership in the Tamaulipan Brushlands and the Chihuahuan Desert Bird Conservation Regions. The Assistant Coordinator works with the RGJV Technical Teams to identify priority areas and actions to benefit priority birds. The Assistant Coordinator also works to develop local partnerships to work on habitat delivery in priority areas. The Assistant Coordinator may be called on to work with the RGJV Technical Teams to develop population models for priority species, GIS maps and applications, and consolidate data on regional bird populations, habitat status and conservation needs. The Assistant Coordinator communicates and provides technical assistance with technical teams, partners, landowners, communities, and others for the development and implementation of bird conservation actions within the Rio Grande Joint Venture Region.
Foster strong partnerships: Works with the Coordinator to develop and sustain relationships with conservation agencies, conservation organizations, landowners, and corporations. Works to develop conservation partnerships in priority areas to deliver improved habitat conditions for priority birds.
- Develop conservation science capabilities: Works with the technical teams to develop population models and test assumptions used in developing models and/or develop GIS maps and applications for a new developing JV.
- Identifies and communicates RGJV priorities: communicates with and provides technical assistance to technical teams, partners, landowners, conservation organizations, communities, and others for the development and implementation of bird conservation actions within the RGJV Region.
- A Master’s degree or higher in biological or information technology sciences or a related field with knowledge of conservation and management needs of birds. Creativity and demonstrated leadership skills required.
At least three (preferably five) years relevant work experience with partnerships, private landowners, habitat management, and/or conservation delivery.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and produce effective results. Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to take responsibility.
- Proven ability to meet long and short-term deadlines. Ability to find solutions and demonstrate tenacity for difficult or long-term projects.
- An outgoing, positive, persuasive manner and predisposition for collaboration, but with ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Some knowledge of either birds or bird habitats required; preferred in the RGJV Region.
- Excellent writing, presentation, and organizational skills, bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred.
- Willing and able to travel frequently.
Salary approximately equal to a federal GS-11 or 12 and commensurate with experience. This position is dependent on federal program funding but is expected to be full-time permanent.
Please email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions on the Rio Grande Joint Venture and the position, email Mary Gustafson, Coordinator, at email@example.com.
For questions on working for the American Bird Conservancy, email firstname.lastname@example.org.