Vacancy - Membership Manager |
Title: Membership Manager
Supervisor: Vice President for Development
Location: The Plains, VA
Status: Full-time, Exempt
American Bird Conservancy (ABC) seeks a motivated, high-energy, people-focused Membership Manager. ABC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to the protection of native wild birds and their habitats throughout the Americas. We have more than 50 staff in offices in nine states. The Membership Manager will be responsible for growing ABC’s individual supporter base by leading an aggressive membership and online fundraising program. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Development and works closely with the Director of Communications. The Membership Manager supervises the Membership Coordinator.
This is a full-time position with American Bird Conservancy (ABC) in The Plains, Virginia. The Membership Manager’s principal responsibilities are:
1) to provide leadership, vision, and management for ABC’s membership and online fundraising programs;
2) to increase revenue generated by general membership and online fundraising;
3) to expand ABC’s membership program and online supporter base;
4) to manage ABC’s donor database through membership data entry for donor gifts and acknowledgments,
5) to develop and manage annual and long-term membership plans and budgets; and
6) to actively integrate ABC’s membership and online fundraising programs with other ABC division work, notably Communications, to produce a consistent, strong ABC brand to the public.
ABC is looking for a creative and energetic person to lead, manage, and grow its membership program. This position requires excellent organizational and writing skills, an in-depth knowledge of IT and donor database management, successful experience and knowledge of internet fundraising, and knowledge of ABC programs and structures. In addition to leading ABC’s membership program, this is a significant customer relations position as there is regular contact, in person and by telephone and correspondence, with members, potential and existing donors, staff, vendors, and the public. This work requires initiative, flexibility, organization, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Develop, implement and update ABC’s annual membership and internet fundraising plans and budgets in coordination with the Vice President of Development and Director of Communications. Produce regular financial reports on ABC’s membership program and work closely with membership staff and the finance department to regularly track and analyze membership expenses, income, and trends.
- Supervise and assist the Membership Coordinator in delivering high quality service to members and keeping ABC’s donor database accurate and up-to-date.
- Work with the Vice President of Development to create and implement targeted appeals and new member acquisitions.
- Increase revenue generated by general membership by encouraging renewal upgrades, maintaining a 70 percent or better membership renewal rate, and through special appeals.
- Work closely with major gifts staff to identify, target, and upgrade members to higher giving levels.
- Maintain and manage ABC’s donor database. This work includes membership data entry for donor gifts and solicitations, database coding, preparation, and mailing of all standard acknowledgments, production of daily and monthly reports for analysis.
- Assist with other office projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience in fundraising, membership, customer service, or related work or combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets; managing and analyzing data.
- Proficiency with Convio/Luminate, or other gift management programs, online fundraising, social media, and other related IT skills.
- Ability to work with outside vendors including mailing houses, suppliers, and premium vendors.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and accurately, in a deadline-oriented position.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people and maintain a sense of humor.
- Excellent communications (including writing and in-person) and organizational skills.
- Dedication to American Bird Conservancy’s conservation mission.
Please send cover letter and resume by October 15, 2013 to: